Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Flag Pole Holes & Such

You may have noticed the sidewalk demolition going on in the northeast quadrant of our Public Square. While this may seem somewhat intimidating, I just want to remind everyone that business is still being conducted. In spite of the inconvenience, I am excited about the prospect of new sidewalks.

Have you noticed Mitchell's Clothing & Tuxedos has a large flag placed in the sidewalk? While we bid a sad farewell to the continued use of that particular flag, I am reminded that this new construction is something that has been awaited for over 3 decades. The flag pole sidewalk hole that we place our flag in has existed for as long as Mitch can remember. For reference, Mitch has worked in the downtown since he was 17 years old. He is now well over 40. He tells me Downtown businesses used to display these large flags around the Public Square. The fact that many of these flag pole sidewalk holes still exist is seen to me as a reminder that new sidewalks are well overdue. The opportunities to trip and fall on the sidewalks on the Public Square should be mitigated with the introduction of these brand new walkways.

So while I am somewhat anxious about the demolition and construction, my uneasiness is diminished by the positive anticipation of new and improved sidewalks and a safer environment for pedestrian traffic.